Clearing kangaroos

13 05 2015

My Twitter feed has Tweets from our State’s roads people, and I have it filtered to get just the Tweets relating to the south-west of Western Australia. Here are a couple that came through a week or two ago – read up from the bottom:

kangaroo_tweets

What I want to know is how did the kangaroo get ‘cleared’ from the road? Did it just hop away? Did someone get out of their vehicle and chase it into the bush or farmland surrounding the road? Was some sort of ‘kangaroo clearing’ equipment brought in to clear the kangaroo? Curious minds want to know 😉

(I suspect it just hopped away.)

As an aside, I think Mandjoogoordap Drive — at 14 letters — must be the longest single road name in Western Australia!





Shelley’s quilt

13 05 2015

I can’t lay any claim to this beautiful quilt, except for making and attaching the binding. But I wanted to show the pictures of it, as it was beautifully made using old family linen and laces. My friend Faye had inherited this linen and intended making a quilt from it, or getting a quilt made (I’m not 100% sure of the whole story). Someone had offered to make it — a process that took a couple of years. This was the first-ever quilt that person made, and she did a magnificent job.

But during the making of it, the person it was for (Shelley) passed away, aged just 32. So the quilt became even more special for Faye.

Eventually it was completed and Faye asked if I could quilt it. I could, but I knew I couldn’t do it justice, so I recommended a local long-arm quilter who has won several quilting awards. After a few more months, the quilt came back to me to make and attach the binding. The quilter stitched into one of the borders ‘In loving memory of Shelley, aged 32’.

In time, this huge quilt will likely go to Faye’s granddaughter, who is only 4 years old at the moment.

The quilt was so big that I could only show just over half of it on the line.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

P1040544

P1040549

P1040548

P1040547

P1040546

P1040545





Community Quilt 208

13 05 2015

This unusual quilt seemed to be a mish-mash of disparate blocks — I couldn’t see the underlying theme, if there was one. But the colours brought it together, especially the large chunky borders.

I started by stitching in the ditch (purple thread) around all the blocks, sashing strips, applique motifs, and large borders. I left the black borders unstitched.

In each block I quilted something different — pebbles/bubbles around the spotted dog, sun rays and grass in the sun block, straight lines in the hexagonal strip block, spirals in the ‘sort of’ log cabin block, squared stippling in the block with the dice, and half flowers and straight lines in the block with the crossover squares.

For the borders, I decided to just go plain and so stitched straight echo lines (in a bright lipstick pink) about 1 inch away from the seams and about 3 inches out from that stitching line.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt208_01

quilt208_04

quilt208_03

quilt208_02


quilt208_07

quilt208_06

quilt208_05

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Mulberry’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2380 [I think]); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Lipstick’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 91787); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Linen’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10WG1); Madeira Rayon (40 wt, colour 1169)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (black, white, and light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 207

13 05 2015

This small scrappy quilt was full of very busy fabrics, many of which seemed quite old. So simple quilting was called for.

I started by stitching in the ditch around all the blocks, sashing strips, and borders. Then I free-motion stitched a simple elongated ‘U’ shape in each block, alternating side-to-side and up-and-down, creating a checkerboard effect.

I repeated the ‘U’ shape at a smaller scale in the borders.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt207_01


quilt207_02

quilt207_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton (40 wt, rayon, colour unknown [but a purple of some sort — possibly ‘Mulberry’, colour 2380, based on the colour chart I have])
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (black)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/