This unusual quilt seemed to be a mish-mash of disparate blocks — I couldn’t see the underlying theme, if there was one. But the colours brought it together, especially the large chunky borders.
I started by stitching in the ditch (purple thread) around all the blocks, sashing strips, applique motifs, and large borders. I left the black borders unstitched.
In each block I quilted something different — pebbles/bubbles around the spotted dog, sun rays and grass in the sun block, straight lines in the hexagonal strip block, spirals in the ‘sort of’ log cabin block, squared stippling in the block with the dice, and half flowers and straight lines in the block with the crossover squares.
For the borders, I decided to just go plain and so stitched straight echo lines (in a bright lipstick pink) about 1 inch away from the seams and about 3 inches out from that stitching line.
(Click on a photo to view it larger)
- Top: Robison-Anton ‘Mulberry’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2380 [I think]); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Lipstick’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 91787); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Linen’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10WG1); Madeira Rayon (40 wt, colour 1169)
- Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (black, white, and light tan)
Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/