Community Quilt 355

23 10 2017

What a bright and cheerful quilt this was! I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements. I stitched large bubbles/circles in the yellow sections, and a checkerboard effect in the red. I left the black squares unstitched. In the borders, I outline stitched the black stripes, and finally did a large meandering stipple in the outer border, leaving the black border unstitched.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Tuxedo Red’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2420); Gutermann (40 wt, rayon, colour 1189); Fil-Tec Glide ‘White’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10000)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (candy apple red, white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 354

23 10 2017

How to quilt this big quilt? I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements, as you do. Then I echo quilted around all the coloured strips and borders, and in the outer border. Next, I stitched a ribbon candy motif in the outer border, and some big free-form feathers in the dark coloured strips.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Linen’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10WG1); Robison-Anton ‘Best Brown’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2566)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white, lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 353

15 10 2017

Despite its simplicity, this blue, grey, and purple quilt is quite dramatic. How to quilt it? I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements. Next, I stitched a curved matrix design in the all the dark square centres, and a large ‘u’ motif in the dark borders surrounding the light squares. I kept the border simple by just stitching a single line half an inch from the main quilt top.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF487)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 352

15 10 2017

This large scrappy strip quilt had such a busy combination of fabrics that an all-over motif that didn’t try to dominate the quilt was called for. I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements and borders, then did a floral version of my favourite ‘open headband’ motif, with a large meander in the main border. I used a variegated yellow and jade thread, which I thought blended in really well with all the colours in this quilt.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Signature ‘St Thomas’ (40 wt, cotton, colour F151)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 351

15 10 2017

This was a bright fun quilt, made up of quirky dogs and cats. I’m sure the child who receives it will love it!

How to quilt it? I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements. While I still had the green thread in the machine, I did the borders (ribbon candy motif) and sashing strips (a sine wave). Then I switched to black thread and outlined each block in each panel and the animals inside them.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Ming’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2322); Robison-Anton ‘Jet Black’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2632)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan, black)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 350

15 10 2017

A big quilt — with seed packets as the fabric theme! After stitching in the ditch around the blocks, I stitched a large meander in the main border. In the small border, I continuously stitched the word ‘seed’. Finally, I stitched a spiral motif in the main quilt top, using a matching pink/watermelon coloured thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Lipstick’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 91787)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (candy apple red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 349

7 10 2017

I don’t know what it is about batiks, but I just love them, and even though I’m not a fan of browns I loved the combination of colours used in this batik quilt. I decided to quilt it using a single-line squared meander, with piano keys in the border. All free-motion quilting — no rulers.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Earthen Tan’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2569)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/