Synapse

17 05 2015

I’ve submitted this one to the OMG (Organic Modern Graphic) quilt movement (https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMGQuilts/) for acceptance as an OMG quilt. If accepted, it will get an OMG #, but until then, I’ve called it ‘Synapse’. Update:  Accepted! This is now ‘OMG #31: Synapse’. This art quilt is now available for sale from my Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/605096612/synapse-art-quilt

My interpretation of ‘organic’ for this one was at the cellular level and beyond. It’s a 7×10 piece. How I made it is described below the photo (click on the photo to view it larger).

P1040571_02

The background fabric is some old navy linen I had from my dressmaking days, and the synapses are some old pink poplin (or similar) from one of the first quilts I made in the late 1980s.

The base of the quilt is a 7×10 piece of Floriani ‘Stitch n Shape’, layered with some batting, and covered with the navy fabric. I turned over the edges and glued them down (Elmer’s School Glue). Then I used another piece of navy fabric to cover the back, turning under the edges, gluing it to the back, and then topstitching the layers to hold them together. Next, I added Velcro hook pieces on the back as per the OMG guidelines (NOTE: If I did another like this, I’d add the Velcro to the backing piece BEFORE gluing and stitching it to the back).

Next I fused Mistyfuse to the back of the pink fabric, drew the free-form synapse shapes on the back, then cut them out and placed and fused them to the top, making a couple of them wrap around the edges.

I stitched some background DNA-like ladder structures in navy thread (Fil-Tec Glide ‘Navy’, colour 32965), then the synapse applique pieces and their tendrils in a bright pink thread (Mettler Poly Sheen, colour 1950).

The end result is a nice stiff enclosed piece, with some texture and puffiness from stitching on the top and leaving certain areas unstitched to allow them to ‘pop’.





Community Quilt 211

17 05 2015

There were lots of very busy fabric in this quilt, and some very slippery non-cotton ones (particularly the border fabric). I started by stitching in the ditch around all the blocks and borders.

How to quilt it? The busy-ness of the fabrics dictated something simple and all-over. So I went back to a design that I have a lot of ‘muscle memory’ for — open headbands.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)


quilt211_01

 

quilt211_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Taupe’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2298)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 210

17 05 2015

I think is the last of three very similar quilts: #201 and #209 were the earlier ones.

So I did mostly the same quilting on it — echo stitching around all the applique motifs (after stitching in the ditch around the blocks and the applique pieces, of course).

I left the sashing strips unstitched, and in the larger border I free-motion bubbles/pebbles of various sizes to emulate the fabric.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)


quilt210_01

 

quilt210_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Crimson’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2416)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 209

17 05 2015

This bright quilt was a larger version of Quilt #201, but essentially the same. So I did mostly the same quilting on it — echo stitching around all the applique motifs (after stitching in the ditch around the blocks and the applique pieces, of course).

In the sashing strips, I stitched a straight diagonal line across each square. And in the aqua border I free-motion stitched elongated U’s of various lengths, keeping them about a half-inch wide.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)


quilt209_01

quilt209_02

quilt209_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Mint Julep’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2310); Madeira Rayon (40 wt, colour 1166 [dark blue]); Madeira Rayon (40 wt, colour 1169 [green])
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white and black)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/