Community Quilt 81

14 05 2013

I had high hopes for this quilt. It was big and it had a rich backing fabric that led me to believe that the top would be as exotic. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as exotic as I’d hoped for. And the batting was a high-loft polyester wadding, which meant that this quilt was hard to handle as it kept wanting to ‘run away’ from me.

As a consequence of its sheer size and the thick polyester wadding, my first job was to stitch it down. Normally, basting pins are sufficient, but this one needed the ‘ESS’ touch (‘[stitch] Every Stinking Seam’ — attributable to Cindy Needham), so I stitched in the ditch around every block, and then within the blocks using a very lightweight (100 wt) thread in a matching beige. While I didn’t quite achieve ESS, I came close. I started using my Line Tamer ruler for the stitch in the ditch, but as some of the blocks only had short straight lengths, I discarded it and went for ‘eyeballing’ the straight lines.

Although I was tempted to do some quite detailed quilting in each block, time was against me (and I really didn’t like the ‘hand’ of the quilt with all that polyester wadding), so instead I decided to just quilt the sashing borders with a decorative orange thread, spiralling in the keystone blocks, and doing vertical and horizontal wavy lines between the spiral blocks.

I had to take the photos of this quilt inside as it was bucketing with rain outside and I was in a hurry to get this one packaged up and taken with me to Perth to be dropped at the Community Quilts coordinator’s house. So the photos are a little blurry.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt81_01

quilt81_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton (40 wt, rayon, colour Dk Tex Oran #2469); Invisifil (100 wt, light tan/beige)
  • Bobbin: Invisifil (100 wt, navy)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Swapping out the circuit board on my Sweet Sixteen

14 05 2013

As a precaution and in case it may have contributed to the issues I had with the various light rings on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen, my dealer swapped out the circuit board in my machine when I took it up to her on the weekend (the board was swapped out on 11 May 2013). I also got the new light ring (Handi Quilter now has a new supplier and, as a bonus, brighter lights!).

Because I thought that swapping out the board and replacing it with a new one might mean that all my stitch counts would likely be reset to zero, I took a photo of my total stitches prior to the replacement board being put in.

In the two years I’ve had my Sweet Sixteen, I had done some 8.53 million stitches! If you look at the leading zeros, you can see that the board on the machine can tally up to 999,999,999 stitches. Whether the machine itself would last that long is something to be confirmed at a much later date 😉

stitches_HQ16_two_years_may2013

Now, if you looked at the stitch count only, my machine appears to be brand new as the new board had just 249 stitches recorded on it, which I’d guess was done as part of the manufacturers’ testing.

I wonder how long it will take me to reach another 8.5 million stitches…

Update August 2014: I got the new software upgrade (C-pod replacement) and the stitch count since this post (May 2013) was 6.2 million stitches, for a total to August 2014 of approximately 14.7 million stitches.





Storm brewing

14 05 2013

We had a few stormy days last week, with quite a lot of rain. In between breaks in the downpours, I took this photo of the next band of rain about to hit. Ominous, but not as ominous as the bands that had gone before it!

storm_brewing_may2013