Community Quilt 89

17 06 2013

This was a very old-fashioned quilt top — an old-fashioned block, old fabrics, and all the star blocks were hand-sewn. How to quilt it?

I started by stitching in the ditch ESS (‘every stinking seam’) — well, not quite every seam, but almost!

Next, were the white spaces. The area where the points all met in the middle was very bumpy for each block, so I needed something to flatten it. I decided to do a stylised flower, using a fairly close spiral for the centre, then radiating out following the shape of the white space for the petals, with a centre vein (these blocks were puffy too), and a couple of swirly bits on the side, followed by an echo line around the outside of the petals. I used a matching 80 wt thread for these as I didn’t want them to stand out too much.

But what to do about those 8-pointed stars? First I stitched in the ditch with an invisible thread through each one to reduce the puffiness and to stabilise them for the big spiral centre — I’ve done big spirals before without stabilising the layers first and ended up with weird effects, a bit like the ‘pointy bras’ of yesteryear that my Mum used to wear ;-). Next, I used the top off a container as my circle to mark the outer line with chalk. Then I stitched around the circle with a variegated mauve/purple/lemon/tan thread, then stitched another ring about 1/4″ from the outer ring, then I spiralled in to the centre and out again. Once I was back on the outer ring of the circle, I stitched flame-style ‘petals’ around the circle with the points almost touching the edges of the start. I thought they looked a bit like sunflowers when I was finished, and I was pleased with how they turned out.

Click on a photo to view it larger.

quilt89_02

quilt89_03

quilt89_01

 

quilt89_05    quilt89_04

Threads used:

  • Top: Wonderfil Deco-Bob (beige, 80 wt, colour DB 112); Wonderfil Mirage (30 wt, colour SD 32)
  • Bobbin: Wonderfil Invisifil (lime green, 100 wt, colour IF 702)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/

 





Community Quilt 88

17 06 2013

What gorgeous colours and fabrics were in this quilt! All those rich reds, and I think some of the fabrics were heavy silks too. The backing fabric was in a deep navy/black with a Kokopelli symbol. Unfortunately, the reds just don’t come out well in the photsos.

For this quilt, I decided to do an all over design using a rich red thread. I wanted to capture the feel of the grasses in one of the fabrics, so did a sort of grassy motif, which was really just a very open version of the open headbands motif I use a lot.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt88_01

quilt88_03

quilt88_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani embroidery thread (40 wt rayon, colour PF188)
  • Bobbin: Wonderfil Invisifil (red, 100 wt, colour IF 202)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/