Community Quilt 74

16 04 2013

Another quilt using yellow thread! I’m on a roll…

This one was a cute bee and honey quilt. Not only were there bees on the front, there were bees all over the back too. But how to quilt it?

I could have gone for stylised bees or flowers, but having never done bees before, I thought that would be a bit much. Flowers? Meh. And then I saw the little hives. They gave me inspiration for doing my geometric, ‘flat end’ version of the ‘open headband‘ motif. I was pleased with how it turned out.

Again, this was an all-over, edge-to-edge design that puts me into that ‘zen zone’ 😉

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt74_01

quilt74_03

quilt74_02

Back:

quilt74_04

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Mango’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour #80116)
  • Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 73

16 04 2013

This quilt had little tiny leaf motif fabrics, and a small floral print in the border, along with the tiny aqua squares. I decided to use my ‘open headband‘ variation of adding a petal-like sweep to one of the ‘headbands’, emulating the petals of the flowers in the border.

Again, this was an all-over, edge-to-edge quilting design.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt73_01

quilt73_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Mango’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour #80116)
  • Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 72

16 04 2013

Ooo! A dramatic yellow, black and white quilt top! How to quilt it??? There were some floral and leaf fabrics in there, as well as geometrics. I immediately dismissed the idea of a floral or curly leaf motif and went for geometrics. Should I just do straight line ruler work a la modern quilts, or something else?

I still wanted to do something similar to quilting on modern quilts but not plain lines, so I opted for a straight line stipple that crossed to form rectangles and ‘sort of’ squares. No rulers or markings — I just eyeballed it and went for it, starting in the centre and working my way out.

This is one of those all-over, edge-to-edge, single line quilting motifs that I love doing (I get into a zen zone), and I thought it worked well on this quilt.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt72_01

quilt72_03

quilt72_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Isacord 40 wt trilobal polyester (I don’t have the empty thread spool, so can’t give the colour, but it was sort of a mango yellow)
  • Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Score!

16 04 2013

I had to have my car serviced last Friday. I’d requested a loan car as I needed to go shopping in town and here’s what I got for the day — a brand new (only a few thousand km on the odometer) Mercedes A-Class in bright flaming red!

loan_car

Cool car! Loved the reversing camera, the simplicity of the gear changes, and the simplicity of the parking brake mechanism. After having used them for a few hours, you wonder why no-one has simplified these things before!

score_threads

Another big score of the day was these threads. I went into Spotlight to get something (I can’t even remember what, now), and spotted a bin of ’embroidery’ threads going out for $3 each. Normally I wouldn’t even look at the threads Spotlight has on sale as they are usually cheapies, not name-brand good threads that I use. But this time the bin was full of all Wonderfil threads! I bought every Mirage (30 wt), Inivisifil (100 wt), Silco, and Fruiti (Egyptian cotton) thread in the bin. I left the Razzle and 12 wt threads as I do very little bobbin work. Each spool of thread was $7 or more retail, reduced to $3. Total number of thread spools purchased: 55. At $3 a spool, that haul cost me $165. Had I bought them all at full price, they would have cost $385. And yes, they all fitted on my spool holder and in one of my spool trays.

The final score of the day actually occurred the afternoon before. The last block of land we owned in Bridgetown Gardens was finally settled (after the contracts were signed in mid-January and after settlement was meant to occur in mid-March). I immediately paid down some debt, and left enough for any capital gains tax we may incur, and left a tad over for play money 😉