I dropped off the first 6 quilts I quilted to the WAQA community quilts organiser on Friday — and she gave me some great news! I don’t have to bind the quilts too! Yay! That means just quilting them.
So I pin basted and quilted #7 today. It was difficult to quilt as the top was off centre and the blocks were wonky and puckering and not joined very well (some wonkiness could well have been a result of fabric choices — some fabrics were thin and flimsy, while others were quite sturdy). And there wasn’t quite enough batting to fit, so I had to join another strip of batting. The puckering blocks meant that I needed to use fairly dense quilting to ‘beat it into submission’. A close large stipple was an option, but instead I decided on an open headband motif.
I used a variegated blue/green/yellow King Tut thread (from Superior; 40 wt Egyptian cotton, colour 403) on the top and a navy Invisifil thread (Wonderfil; 100 wt, colour IF 608).
Some photos below; more on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/