Community Quilt 7

29 07 2012

I dropped off the first 6 quilts I quilted to the WAQA community quilts organiser on Friday — and she gave me some great news! I don’t have to bind the quilts too! Yay! That means just quilting them.

So I pin basted and quilted #7 today. It was difficult to quilt as the top was off centre and the blocks were wonky and puckering and not joined very well (some wonkiness could well have been a result of fabric choices — some fabrics were thin and flimsy, while others were quite sturdy). And there wasn’t quite enough batting to fit, so I had to join another strip of batting. The puckering blocks meant that I needed to use fairly dense quilting to ‘beat it into submission’. A close large stipple was an option, but instead I decided on an open headband motif.

I used a variegated blue/green/yellow King Tut thread (from Superior; 40 wt Egyptian cotton, colour 403) on the top and a navy Invisifil thread (Wonderfil; 100 wt, colour IF 608).

Some photos below; more on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





2012 FMQ Challenge: July

29 07 2012

This month’s challenge looked to be a relatively simple piece to do, but I struggled with it. I’m not sure if it was the rush I did it in (almost the last day of the challenge before I got to it), or whether I just didn’t like ‘colouring in between the lines’ and being forced to crop a design because of defined edges. Or whether I just figured that doing this without marking or using a ruler for the long straight lines would make it look very amateur (I only free motion quilt on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen, so all straight stitches are free motion too, even if I use a ruler or mark the line).

Anyhow, I did it. I’m not particularly happy with it, but I did do it in about 10 minutes and didn’t practice first (yeah, I know….). Straight lines are wonky, and intended filler designs went out of kilter.