Evolution of a quilt: 8

13 01 2008

Further progress this weekend… I picked up 5 metres of silver adhesive bias tape earlier in the week, expecting it to be enough. Well, it was only *just* enough for the wings and even then I had to fudge it a little using some offcuts to make up the full length.

I really liked the look when I ironed it on, but then I had to stitch it down—even though I used monofilament (invisible) thread, the holes made by the needle still show. I think that takes a little away from it. Anyhow, the wings are done. I still have to add bias tape to the body—I’m waiting on an order of some black bias tape, so I’m not sure if I’ll do it in that or continue the silver theme. I’m tempted to stay with silver, just for continuity, but black will be more like the colour of a real dragonfly’s body.

Silver wings

Close up of silver bias tape on wings

Because I was out of bias tape, I decided to start on the borders. But what fabric/colours to use? Off to the two fabric stores in town! The first didn’t have anything that ‘sang’ to me, so I decided to try the second store. (Yes, our town is only small—about 5000 people—but we have TWO fabric stores!)

After ‘auditioning’ a lot of fabric bolts (‘auditioning’ is the term you use when you’re trying out other fabrics against those you have, to see what matches, contrasts, fits, etc.), I chose a deep burgundy for the first border (the ‘frame), and a green leaf border for the main border. Here’s how it came together:

Corner with borders

Corner with borders

The next steps are to:

  • Add more leaves, possibly with some falling in to the border.
  • Add the bias tape to the dragonfly when I receive it.
  • Decide whether or not to add gold thread tendrils before it gets quilted, or after, or not at all—suggestions gratefully appreciated!
  • Decide on a backing. My initial thoughts are to do a plain backing (I have plenty of the burgundy fabric used in the frame, or I can get more of the leaf fabric), perhaps with a leaf or two appliqued on. The other thought is to use similar colours/tones to the front and piece another quilt as the back—maybe large log cabin blocks. But that will take a LOT more time!
  • After finishing the top, add the batting and the back, then either quilt it myself, or take it to a local lady (Judy) to quilt for me on her long arm machine. She did a terrific job on my “South of the Border” quilt, and she doesn’t charge a lot so I’m tempted to get her to do it as the finish will be very professional.

When we went over to see my parents a week or so ago, Mum offered to swap sewing machines with me. We both have old Berninas, but hers is a more featured model than mine and about 10 years younger (making hers about 25 years old!). Hopefully the swap will happen this week as we’re meant to be meeting them for lunch later in the week. I doubt she’s used her machine much, so it should work well. And my Bernina feet will work with it too.

Links to all posts about this quilt