Neat as a pin!

20 03 2016

Over Christmas we had an air conditioning condensate pump fail, and subsequently water overflowed into the ceiling space, specifically above the linen cupboard. The ceiling inside the linen cupboard partially collapsed and everything on the top shelf got soaked (we lost two quilts). Fortunately, we discovered it within a day or so, so were able to wash the other linens before mould set in.

Since then we’ve had the pump replaced (and then decided to get ducted air installed), put in an insurance claim (they paid!), and had the ceiling inside the linen cupboard replaced. I decided to purchase tubs for the linen cupboard to store the linen in case anything like this ever happened again. I’d done most of the repacking, labelling etc. but still had a few tings to go, which I finished yesterday.

By using tubs and arranging everything better, I have SOOO much more space in the linen cupboard now!

Here’s the second top shelf with linen and toiletries in vague order (you can see the bow in the ceiling where the water was, and a faint water mark):

linen_cupboard_ceiling02

And here it is all finished! Almost everything is in lidded tubs, and all the tubs are labelled. Hopefully it will stay like this…

linen_cupboard_after01

linen_cupboard_after02

 





Community Quilt 257

20 03 2016

For this batik quilt, I used a bright yellow thread to stitch large overlapping spirals on the main part of the quilt, and large ‘ribbon candy’ in the piano keys border. I left the inner and outer borders unstitched.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt257_01

quilt257_03

quilt257_02

 

Threads used:

  • Top: Isacord (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 0600)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 256

20 03 2016

To counteract the rigidity of the horizontal stripes in this bright jelly roll quilt, I decided to go a bit more organic by stitching all over with circles (aka bubbles or pebbles) of various sizes, in a fluoro orange thread. I left the border unstitched.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt256_01
quilt256_02

 

Back:

quilt256_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Neon Orange'(40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 90811)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 255

20 03 2016

For this small scrappy quilt, I decided to let the ‘on point’ squares pop by only stitching in the white space. I started by stitching in the ditch around all the squares and the borders, then did elongated curved ‘S’ shapes up and down and across to create the illusion of flowers or cathedral windows in the white space. I left the two inner borders unstitched, and did a large meandering stipple in the outer border.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt255_01
quilt255_02

Back:

quilt255_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-tec Glide ‘Cream’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 20001)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 254

20 03 2016

I decided to follow the geometric nature of this quilt made from some lovely batiks and stitched an all-over design of overlapping squares and rectangles. I didn’t use rulers, so not a single line is straight, even though they all look it from a distance.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt254_01
quilt254_02

 

Back:

quilt254_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Isacord (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour FB3040)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/