Community Quilt 253

21 02 2016

How to quilt this quilt? While I decided, I stitched in the ditch along all the zigzag lines for the verticals of the ‘hexagons’ created from the half strips. Then, because the quilt top design was so geometric, I decided to quilt circles. But they aren’t real circles — in fact, not one would meet the criteria for a real circle, but they give the illusion of circles.

I didn’t use any rulers for the circles — instead, I did very curved ‘S’ shapes coming close the centre point of each edge, then crossing in the middle of a join to do the other side of the ‘S’ on the other side of each hexagon, all the way to the top edge, then back down. If you look closely at the stitching you’ll see how I did that. It was pretty quick, and HOURS quicker than using rulers! The effect was still the same, and as this quilt isn’t for a show, these simple circles fitted the bill perfectly.

And I liked how the stitch-in-the-ditch stitching set off the circles, too.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt253_01

quilt253_02

Back:
quilt253_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Superior Rainbows (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 818)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 252

21 02 2016

The busy-ness of this big scrappy quilt didn’t lend itself to custom quilting, so I quilted it with a single-line, all-over ‘open headband‘ motif using a variegated thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt252_01

 

quilt252_02

quilt252_03

Back:

quilt252_04

 

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Harmony ‘Autumn’ (40 wt, cotton, colour 14081)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 251

14 02 2016

I liked the Asiatic (Japanese?) feel to this red, white, and blue quilt. But how to quilt it? I started by stitching in the ditch along the diagonals. Then stitched straight lines around the inner white squares, with arcs at each corner, thus creating little flower shapes.

For the large border, I emulated the fabric by stitching flames coming out from the inner blue border.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt251_01

quilt251_04

quilt251_03

quilt251_02

Back:
quilt251_05

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Cardinal’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 70001); Isacord (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour A3941/Fb4133 [dark dusky blue])
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 250

14 02 2016

I know these quilts are a great way to use up scraps, but they can be the devil to quilt, especially if the person making the top hasn’t flattened out the 8-way joins in the middle of each ‘circle’. The big bump of fabric can break a needle and throw out your timing really easily (a $100 repair at least). Fortunately, the joins on this one weren’t too bad.

I did a large all-over meandering stipple so that I could deliberately avoid the 8-way joins, and because the colour etc. were so busy no-one would be likely to notice the quilting anyway!

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt250_01

quilt250_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF546)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 249

14 02 2016

What a bright quilt this was! To highlight the sunny yellow, I did all the quilting with yellow thread.

For the main body of the quilt I did half arcs/semicircles. I needed to get my muscle memory back after not quilting for 6 weeks or so and this was the perfect motif for that.

Other than stitching in the ditch, I left the black border unstitched, and just did piano keys in the coloured border strips.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt249_03

quilt249_01
quilt249_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF546)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 248

1 02 2016

This big quilt took me a long time to quilt, both in actual hours (about 10) and over time. I started it a few days before I had shoulder surgery (19 Dec 2015), getting all the stitching in the ditch done. Then I couldn’t quilt for a couple of weeks, then the weekend I set myself to get back to it we evacuated the house because of the threat of a major bushfire, then other stuff got in the way. Finally, I got back to it this weekend and finished it!

To make the stars ‘pop’, I stitched diamond shapes in the white space between them, then filled the white background around each star with some elongated ‘n’ and ‘u’ shapes, which made both the stars and the diamonds ‘pop’. All that stitching created an interesting effect on the back, too. I left the borders unstitched.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt248_02

quilt248_04

quilt248_03

Back:

quilt248_01

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘White’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10000)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/