Taking doodling to the next step

26 10 2015

At a conference I recently attended in Perth, artist Jan Naylor had some of her colourful works on display. All were painted, then drawn over with india ink. Great effects! And great quilting inspiration!

Apologies for the blurriness of some of the photos — I didn’t want to use the flash in public areas.

P1050025

P1050030

P1050031

P1050026

P1050027

P1050028





Community Quilt 232

19 10 2015

This scrappy ‘eye-spy’ quilt had lots of busy fabrics and a multitude of colours, so a simple all-over quilting motif was all that was necessary. Instead of a meandering stipple, I decided to do large bubbles/pebbles in yellow thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt232_03

quilt232_02

quilt232_01

Back:

quilt232_04

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Merit Gold’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2463)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Baby quilts: Railfence 1 and 2

18 10 2015

I wanted to try a simple railfence quilt pattern and wanted to use up some pale pink flannel/fleece fabric, so raided my stash for some fabrics to go with it. The end result was these two crib/cot/baby quilts/play mats.

Both are a 2-layer sandwich — the quilt top and the backing, with no batting in between (the flannel/fleece is plenty thick enough).

For one, I quilted it with an ‘open headband’ motif, and for the other I stitched alternate blocks in opposite directions with a long droplet motif.

Both have now been donated to the McGrath Foundation (breast cancer).

Quilt 1

baby_pink_railfence01_01

baby_pink_railfence01_02

baby_pink_railfence01_03

Quilt 2

baby_pink_railfence02_01

baby_pink_railfence02_02

baby_pink_railfence02_03





Community Quilt 231

18 10 2015

How to quilt this dramatic red and white quilt?

I agonised over how I would quilt it as I stitched in the ditch around ALL the blocks, eventually settling on doing a wonky star in red thread on the white crosses, and some very dense quilting on the ‘backgrounds’ to the red stars, thus creating a puffy square effect. I used my Line Tamer ruler for all the straight lines, except the dense quilting.

I thought about doing a white wonky star motif in the red squares, but decided against it as I quite liked the puffiness of those squares against the rest of the quilt.

I stitched straight ‘piano key’ lines in the tartan border, following the pattern in the fabric.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt231_01

quilt231_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Cardinal’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 700001)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 230

14 10 2015

This quilt was made up of approximately 2.5-inch squares of fabric ranging from light at the top to dark at the bottom. As with other very visually busy quilts, I just stitched it with a simple all-over motif — a large meandering stipple for this one, using a variegated thread of brown, green, and orange.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt230_01


quilt230_02

quilt230_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Harmony ‘Tweed’ (40 wt, cotton, colour 14076)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 229

14 10 2015

Another scrappy quilt, this time of approximately 1-inch squares sewn into 6×6 blocks. The person who made the quilt top also top-stitched the squares — I’m not sure why.

Because  it was such a busy quilt with all those fabrics and all those tiny squares, I just quilted it with a large meandering stipple, in a matching blue thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt229_01

quilt229_02
quilt229_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF373)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 228

14 10 2015

Someone spent a lot of time putting these blocks together! At least, that what it looks like — perhaps there was a quick way of doing these offset half-square triangles and pinwheels?

Each square was only about an inch or so wide, and lots of scrap fabrics were used, making it a very busy quilt, visually. There was no point doing elaborate quilting on it as it would just get lost in the busy-ness of the blocks, so I opted for a large meander across all the blocks in a matching blue thread. I used the same thread in the border, where I stitched mountain peaks of uneven heights (freehand, no rulers or markings).

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt228_01

quilt228_02


quilt229_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF373)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/