Community Quilt 32

25 11 2012

This was a very detailed applique quilt — someone had spent many hours making it. And I spent many hours quilting it! (I suspect about 10 hours in total).

I started with the centerpiece by echo quilting the words, then I used tight McTavishing to fill in the rest of the background of this centre, thus ‘popping’ the appliqued flowers (click on a photo to view it larger)

I stippled the background of the remainder of the applique sections, with a tight small stippling stitch, again to ‘pop’ the appliqued elements.

For the star blocks, I used a few different elements. I wanted to try out the spiral design from the November Free Motion Quilting Challenge, so there are quite a few spirals in these star blocks 😉

I stitched all the cream areas with Superior Threads’ King Tut “Papyrus” (colour 972), and used the same bobbin throughout (Deco Bob DB 115).

I decided not to quilt the sashing as there was already a lot of quilting on this quilt. However, the borders needed to be stablised, so I quilted a continuous run of spirals in them using Isacord thread (colour 4133). However, I didn’t take a photo as these spirals were almost impossible to see against the teal floral fabric.

The finished quilt:




3 responses

25 11 2012
2012 FMQ Challenge: November « At Random

[…] fact, I did several spirals in one of my community quilts before I created my practice piece — and I know I did a much better job on the quilt than I […]

25 11 2012

Such a lot of work!

25 11 2012

Very nice! A beautiful piece and well thought out stitching! Lookin’ good!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: