Community Quilt 395

8 04 2018

I made this quilt top back in February, and got it back for quilting! The spots in many of the fabrics meant it was easy to decide a motif — large circles/bubbles/pebbles in the main top (in yellow thread), then a motif I made up in my head of odd-length ‘pipes’ ending in round shapes (bobble heads?). I quite like the effect of those bobble heads and will likely do them again. And yes, I just coined a name for that motif — ‘bobble head’. You heard it here first, folks!

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Marigold’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 80130); Madeira (40 wt, rayon, colour 1047)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 394

8 04 2018

This was a big quilt, with lots of elements in it. It took several hours to quilt.

How to quilt it? As usual I started by stitching in the ditch around the main elements. For the square corner and centre blocks containing flowers, I stitched a flower motif. Then I followed the log cabin seams in the yellow border, stitching straight lines from one side to the other. Still with the yellow thread, I stitched a single line down the middle of one the yellow borders, and a ‘u’ motif in the other. I left the blue border unstitched.

After switching to a dark grey thread, I stitched a squared-off motif in the large and small black borders, and a small stipple in the setting triangles in the centre block; I left the black borders in the centre unstitched.

Lastly, I switched to pink thread and did a large meandering stipple in the pink border.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Marigold’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 80130); Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF488); Robison-Anton ‘Crimson’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2416)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan, lead gray, candy apple red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 393

8 04 2018

As with most quilts, I started by stitching in the ditch around all the sashings and borders. For the centre panel, I stitched a square stipple; for the middle ‘circle’ of blocks, I stitched a square spiral in each; and for the outer ‘ring’ of multicoloured blocks, I stitched a big X, then lines sort-of echoing those Xs. I left the blue sashings and borders unstitched. I only used my Line Tamer rule for stitching in the ditch and the big Xs — everything else was free motion.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Tuxedo Red’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2420)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (candy apple red)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 392

8 04 2018

This was a difficult quilt to quilt. I think there was a heap of high-loft polyester batting behind the main top, even though the borders only had standard low-loft batting — the main top was very puffy, usually an indication of fluffy polyester batting. Then there were the buttons in the centre of all the flowers, plus the applique, plus seams that hadn’t been pressed one way. All of these add to the difficulty in quilting a quilt.

To stabilise it as much as possible, I first stitched in the ditch around all the main elements, including around all the fused applique pieces, and the borders. Then to reduce the puffiness, I did a meandering medium-sized stippled in the white space around each teapot and mug. I was going to do spaghetti lines, but the stripes in the white tone-on-tone background fabric went in different directions, so that wasn’t going to work.

I left the green and gold  border unstitched, and stitched different length ‘u’ shapes in the yellow border.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘White’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 10000); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Marigold’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 80130)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white, light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/