Community Quilt 391

5 04 2018

What a bright and cheerful quilt! I think it used a disappearing nine-patch pattern, with the large blocks featuring deep pink orchids.

I decided to quilt it using an all-over, continuous line favourite of mine — open headbands — using a deep maroon thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour PF192)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 390

5 04 2018

Someone had fun making this convergence quilt! Nice bright colours, and a pond scene.

But how to quilt it? As usual I started by stitching in the ditch around all the seam lines and borders, then decided to stitch horizontal lines about 0.5 inches apart in the main block with bright orange thread. I used my Line Tamer ruler for the stitch in the ditch straight lines, but just eyeballed the lines in between, so there’s not a true half inch between each. I did a similar treatment with the horizontal lines in the green borders.

In the purple borders, I stitched ‘u’ shapes, leaving the borders either side of the purple border unstitched. And in the orange border, I stitched a ribbon candy motif, also with bright orange thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Neon Orange’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 90811); Isacord (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 2900); Robison-Anton ‘Ming'(40 wt, rayon, colour 2322)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan, lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 389

5 04 2018

This pink and grey quilt was very different, and posed some challenges for quilting. The centre circles were quite raised and I suspect had been filled with even more batting to make them puffy. And the diamond shapes separating the blocks were loose — they’d been stitched into the seams, but the whole piece floated above the surface of the quilt. I certainly didn’t want to stitch them down, not after the quilt maker had gone to all that trouble to get that floating effect!

So, how to quilt it? As usual, the first step was stitching in the ditch around all the blocks and borders (using a light grey thread), avoiding the floating diamonds. Then to emphasise the raised centre of each block, I free-motion stitched flower petals (in pink thread) around each one. In the main border, I stitched swags and petal shapes, with a flower in each corner block.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF484); Fil-Tec Glide ‘Pink’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 70189)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/