Baby quilt: Improv

7 09 2015

When I took out fabrics for the Kaffe Fasset baby quilt, I realised I had quite a few bits and pieces of solid colours in various fabrics (including some pink linen!) that matched each other. So, spurred on by the improvisational technique I used for my Challenge piece for 2015, I hunted out more, including small, awkward pieces from my stash boxes and started putting them together.

Much sewing, slashing, rejoining etc. later, and I had the improv blocks for this quilt. I added a border of the same aqua blue fabric from the Kaffe baby quilt, and a maroon and aqua binding. The backing fabric wasn’t quite big enough so I used a fat quarter (also slashed and rejoined) to join the backing fabric. Then I quilted it in an all-over spiral to counteract the geometric lines of the blocks, with a wave pattern in the border.

The end result is a small lap quilt, a large crib quilt, or a floor quilt for a baby to play on.

Click on a photo to view it larger)

improv01


improv04

improv03

improv02


improv05

Threads used:

  • Top thread: Robison-Anton ‘Mint Julep’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2310)
  • Bobbin: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound (white)




Baby quilt: Kaffe Fassett fabrics

7 09 2015

I received a bundle of 5″ charm squares as a gift (Kaffe Fasset fabrics from the Rowan Spring 2014 collection by Westminster). I’m not a fan of charm square packs as I never know what to do with them. So I laid these out and auditioned some fabrics as sashing strips, deciding on a clear aqua blue cotton I’ve had for decades. I used an offset arrangement, whereby I added sashing strips to only two adjoining sides of each charm square, then arranged them so they looked wonky.

I quilted this quilt with a square meander, and added a mixed fabric binding using offcuts from the aqua fabric and some coordinating maroon fabric (also from my decades-old stash). The backing was also fabric from my stash.

The end result is a small lap quilt, a large crib quilt, or a floor quilt for a baby to play on. And I’m no longer scared of charm packs 😉

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Kaffe_Rowan01

Kaffe_Rowan02
Kaffe_Rowan03

Threads used:

  • Top thread: Robison-Anton ‘Mint Julep’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2310)
  • Bobbin: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound (white)




Community Quilt 227

7 09 2015

This was almost a whole-cloth quilt! I starting by stitching in the ditch around the lovely applique, then measured out an created a border with a quarter-inch echo around it, and another similar border further out. This framed the applique and gave me a defined area in which to quilt. I use McTavishing inside this fake border area and left the borders free of stitching.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt227_03

quilt227_02

quilt227_01

 

Threads used:

  • Top: Rasant (40 wt, cotton, colour 0861) for the stitch in the ditch; Fil-Tec Glide ‘Cream’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 20001) for the McTavishing and the border lines
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 226

7 09 2015

Busy fabrics/prints/colours and busy pattern, so the only way to quilt it — in my opinion — was to use an all-over design in a rounded shape to soften the geometric nature of the quilt top.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt226_02

quilt226_01

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Raspberry’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2426)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/