Birdies! This BIG single-bed quilt was done in traditional heritage colours, with stylised birds appliqued into every alternate block. (It was so big, I had to hang it sideways on the clothes line to take a picture of it without it falling onto the ground.)
I started by stitching in the ditch around all the blocks, sashing strips, and borders. Then around the appliqued birds.
I then filled the background of each bird block with McTavishing, and stitched cathedral windows in the other 9-patch blocks. I left the sashing strips unstitched, but added a small cathedral window in each cornerstone.
In the green border I followed the pattern of the fabric and free-motion stitched through the centres of the little flowers, giving an overall diagonal effect.
Because the outer border was so dark, I just did a large meandering stipple in it to hold the layers together.
(Click on a photo to view it larger)
- Top: Robison-Anton (40 wt, rayon, burgundy colour); Rasant (40 wt, cotton, beige/tan colour)
- Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (black and light tan)
Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/