Community Quilt 169

28 09 2014

This was an odd quilt. Odd shapes, odd colour combinations. (As always, my opinion only! I don’t make them — I just quilt them.)

How to quilt it? Well, for starters, I stitched in the ditch around all the dark shapes. I was thinking of doing something geometric in the pink areas, but I only had three small spools of various pale pink threads from different manufacturers, so I decided to do an all-over motif so that it wasn’t obvious where I changed threads as each spool ran out. I mostly did a combination of feathers and spirals.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt169_01

quilt169_03

quilt169_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Gutermann Sulky variegated pale pink ( 40 wt, rayon, colour 2100); Robison-Anton (40 wt, rayon, pale pink — no idea of the colour as the label went missing long ago); Madeira Rayon (40 wt, rayon, colour 11120)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 168

28 09 2014

This quilt was a real challenge. It had a high-loft polyester batting in it, which, while it may make the quilt very warm to snuggle under, is an absolute sod to quilt as it’s SO puffy. However, the maker had hand basted it, so it stayed together reasonably well. But even with that, there’s no way you can keep it from puckering, except by quilting the life out of it.

To control the puffiness, I stitched in the ditch (in a pale blue thread) around all the blocks and borders, and then around and within all the appliqued centres of each block. But still there was a lot of puffiness in those centres and in the borders. I decided to leave the plain blue border and the appliqued centres puffy so that they remain very tactile.

For the outer border, I just did a large meandering stipple in the blue thread to hold the layers together. This was a ‘busy’ fabric, so there was no point in dong anything very clever in this outer border. Besides, the polyester batting wanted to escape so I had to stitch in such a way to hold it in and to not cause puckers in the border.

For the blocks, I decided to beat the puffiness in the white areas into submission by McTavishing around each appliqued centre. It took quite a bit of time, but I think it was worth it.

Did I mention it was big?

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt168_01

 

Still very puffy even after stitching in the ditch around everything

Still very puffy even after stitching in the ditch around everything

quilt168_06

quilt168_05

quilt168_04

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Paris blue’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2283); Wonderfil Silco (40wt, white, colour SC03)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 167

28 09 2014

I think someone tried to use up some of their scraps for this quilt. Although there were some quite nice fabrics in this mishmash, the combinations just didn’t work for me. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to how the maker had put the fabrics together. The quilt looked OK from a distance, but up close it was hard on the eyes. And there was 1980s dusky green sheeting on the back.

How to quilt this ‘busy’ quilt? There was too much going on with the fabrics to do anything complex, so I went with a very simple 8-pointed wonky star in each block, after first stitching in the ditch around each block. I continued the theme in the sashing joins, stitching a little 8-pointed wonky star there too.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt167_01

quilt167_02

quilt167_03

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Mint’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 60345)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Kanga Bangas!

28 09 2014

Great name for a product! Kanga Bangas — sausages made from kangaroo meat. (‘Bangers’ are an English/Australian slang expression for sausages; Americans call them ‘links’.)

Spotted in my local supermarket. I think the meat to the left of the sausages is kangaroo steak, and to the right are kangaroo burgers. For those who’ve never eaten it, kangaroo is somewhere between beef and venison. It’s VERY lean, so the steaks are best when marinaded for a bit and grilled on the BBQ. Kangaroos aren’t farmed at all as far as I know, so these are wild game.

kanga_bangers