Community Quilt 166

14 09 2014

I liked the apparent simplicity of this quilt, yet when you deconstruct it to see how it was put together, it was quite complex. I also liked the colours.

How to quilt it?

  1. I started by stitching in the ditch around the centre design, and around the borders.
  2. Then I echo stitched a 1/2 inch from these lines, and about 3 inches out from the purple border’s seams.
  3. I decided to let the centre design ‘pop’, so stitched quite heavily in the negative space, using my variation of McTavishing.
  4. For the outer border, I decided to emulate the spikiness of the central design and marked points (orange chalk marks) to create the triangles.
  5. At each outer border corner, I stitched a stylised leaf, though perhaps I should have attempted a ladybug (as you would’ve done, Joan C!).

I really liked the finished quilt and am very pleased with how I quilted it. I hope WAQA consider using this one as a raffle quilt.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt166_01  quilt166_05

quilt166_03

quilt166_02

quilt166_04

Back:

quilt166_06

Threads used:

  • Top: Mettler Metrosene (polyester, 40 wt?, colour 781 [off-white used for most of the stitching on this quilt]; Gutermann (polyester, 40 wt?, colour 156 [red around the ladybugs]; Madeira (rayon, 40 wt, colour 1169 [green for the stitch-in-the-ditch in the border]; Gutermann (polyester, 40 wt?, colour 810 [purple around the flowers]
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 165

14 09 2014

Another ‘eye spy’ quilt, with lots of busy-ness going on in the fabric colours and patterns.

How to quilt it? Well, an all-over motif was the logical choice, in a thread colour (dark purple) that blended. I did what I’m calling a ‘Lady Liberty’ motif — start with an arc, then come back over the arc with upside-down V-shaped spikes, start the next arc, repeat…

You should be able to see what I mean by looking closely at the centre photo and the back.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt165_01

quilt165_03

 

Back”quilt165_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Madeira (rayon, 40 wt, colour #1112 [dark purple])
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide pre-wound bobbin (lead gray)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 164

14 09 2014

This pretty pastel quilt had lots of conflicting motifs — ragged circles, embroidered cupcakes in squares, and a variety of colours.

How to quilt it?

  1. Using a pastel variegated thread, I stitched in the ditch around all the blocks, including the inner squares of the cupcake blocks and around each cupcake.
  2. Next were the circles — I echo stitched in between the existing spirals, then flowed off the spiral motif into a large meander around the circles.
  3. I echo quilted the cupcakes, then did a heart/leaf motif in the surrounding strips.
  4. With a soft green thread, I stitched a straight line in the border around the entire quilt, 1/2 inch from the border’s seam.
  5. Finally, I used one of my Handi Quilt scallop/shell rulers and stitched the borders n that same green thread. I just did the echo quilting around the scallops free hand (no ruler or marking). I still haven’t figured out how to do corners with these rulers! Even if you mark the centres and work out how many half circles you need, the rulers still slip and go off-kilter <grrr>. So only one of the corners in the borders looks even vaguely right.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt164_01

quilt164_02

quilt164_03quilt164_04

 

Back:

quilt164_05

Threads used:

  • Top: Silco (colour #SCM03 [variegated pastel]); Madeira (rayon, 40 wt, colour 1047 [soft green in border])
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/