Scrappy Quilt: Finished

28 01 2014

I finished up my scrappy quilt over the Australia Day long weekend. This quilt is for me, and used up lots of 2.5″ squares of scrap fabric. The only ‘new’ fabrics in this quilt were the yellow border fabric and the blue/green backing fabric, both of which I bought in Bali about 18 months ago. I still don’t think I made much of a dent in my scrap stash… 😉

For the quilting, I did cathedral windows in the 100-square blocks, a long U shape in the first yellow borders, a double circle in the border of scrap fabrics, then some spirals in the outer yellow border. I used the same thread throughout. All the quilting, except the stitch in the ditch and the straight lines in the outer border where I used the Line Tamer ruler, was done free motion. No rulers, markers, templates.

On the back, I joined the backing fabric with more strips of the scrap squares, and as I’d made five 100-square blocks, I used the fifth block as my foot warmer pocket — I backed it in a fleecy fabric and quilted it the same as the main quilt. For the binding, I used the same fabric as the backing fabric and I like how that contrasts nicely with the yellow in the borders.

The pattern I used was a free one from here: http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/100-patch-quilt-tutorial/

Click on a photo to view it larger.

scrappy_front03

scrappy_front01

scrappy_front02

scrappy_front04

Back: First photos without the foot pocket attached

back02

back01 back03

The back (inside) of the foot pocket on the back:

foot_back01

foot_back02

foot_back03

foot_back04

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Mango’ (40 wt trilobal polyester, color 80116)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Glide pre-wound bobbin (white)