Community Quilt 100

5 08 2013

Whoopee! I’ve now quilted 100 quilts for the Community Quilts program. Others make the tops, yet others sandwich the tops, batting, and backing together and pin baste them ready for me to quilt, then when I’m finished the quilting (i.e. stitching the three layers together with some fancy threadwork ;-)), still more people sew on the binding before these quilts are donated to charitable organisations. I donate my time, my expertise, and my thread.

I wanted the 100th quilt to be a bit special, so I chose this stunning red, black, and white one from the most recent bundle. I decided to ‘custom’ quilt it, with different motifs in each block, different colours, various ruler work, etc. It took me about 12 hours to quilt this quilt from beginning to end.

I started by stitching in the ditch around all the blocks (what fun — NOT! — but it had to be done), then around all the centre pieces of each block to hold everything down and stabilise the quilt for quilting. Then I did all the stitching in red, followed by all the stitching in black, then finally all the white stitching, before finishing with a charcoal grey thread in the sashing strips and the large borders.

Deciding how to quilt each block was the hardest bit. Some designs immediately sprang  out, but others I agonised over for a while — I even read and reviewed two books while waiting for the inspiration to come for these blocks 😉 I was pleased with all the blocks, but some more than others. And if I did something similar again, I’d stabilise the borders with a light basting stitch fairly early on as the heavy stitching in the blocks meant that the borders got a bit puffy and unmanageable.

(Click on a photo to view it larger; note: it was a windy day when I took these photos AND I was using the camera on my new tablet, which means that some photos are not as crisp as I would’ve liked)











Borders and sashing — large and small spirals joined by a single centreline stitch:



Threads used:

  • Top: Red: Robison-Anton ‘Tuxedo Red’ (rayon, 40 wt, colour 2420); Black: Robison-Anton ‘Jet Black’ (rayon, 40 wt, colour 2632); White: Fil-Tec Glide ‘White’ (trilobal polyester, 40 wt, colour 10000); Charcoal: Floriani (rayon?, 40 wt, colour PF488)
  • Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white and black, 70 wt, cotton)




7 responses

5 08 2013

Congrats on your 100th charity quilt, just think of the 100 people that have a smile on their face thanks to you and others.

5 08 2013
Peggy Jebavy

You did a really great job quilting this one! Practice does make perfect!

5 08 2013

Congratulations on your 100th quilt. This is really beautiful!

5 08 2013

Wow! A huge accomplishment and wonderfully done! I so agree, some motifs fairly ‘jump’ out to be stitched and other areas really speak too quietly to be heard immediately! The finish “rocks”!!!! Hugs……..(congrats on #100!!!!)

5 08 2013
Janice Hopkins

Rhonda wouldn’t you love to see the expression on the face of the person who is lucky enough to receive this quilt. You out did yourself on this one.

6 08 2013
Carolyn Kerpchar , Texas

Beautiful work Rhonda. You have inspired me to practice my quilting skills and I just finished my 4th charity quilt. Thanks for sharing your work, Carolyn

6 08 2013

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I really did enjoy quilting this quilt and I hope the recipient loves it!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: