Slippery thread: When a thread net just doesn’t work

28 06 2020

I had a spool of very slippery thread that continually unwound itself and slipped off the spool (a variegated Wonderfil Silco 40 wt, in case you’re curious). I wanted to use it on a quilt, but it just tangled as it came off the spool. So I put a thread net over the spool to try to tame it. That helped a little bit, but not a lot—instead of falling off the spool, the thread now tangled after it left the thread net and as it went through the tension disks on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen, and then it would either snap or cause little blips of thread on the back of the quilt. It was frustrating because I had to check and adjust the flow of the thread through the thread path to the needle every few seconds. For a large lap quilt, that got old fairly quickly! There had to be another solution, short of throwing this spool into the bin (and believe me, I wanted to throw it into the bin several times, but the colours in the thread were a perfect match for my quilt).

Hmmm…. what to do…. I needed something that guided the thread out through a small hole but it had to be big enough to hold the spool with the lid closed. What could I Macgyver?

To the rescue: A plastic vitamin container with a lid, a sharp-pointed knife, and a thick metal skewer (like you use on the BBQ for kebabs). I used the sharp knife to make a small hole in the centre of the lid from the underside, then gently pushed the skewer through (again, from the underside of the lid) so that the hole was big enough for the thread to pass through without catching, but no too big. Then I used the knife to cut an X on the underside of the container, again using the skewer to open up that hole. This hole needed to be bigger as I needed to be able to push it down onto the spool pin on my machine so that it sat snugly on the spool platform. I pushed the container onto the spool pin, put the thread spool into the container on the pin, grabbed the end of the thread and threaded it through the hole in the lid, then screwed the lid onto the container. Done!

So, how did it work? Quite well and much better than the thread net. I still had the occasional tangle, but these were manageable. Problem solved!


Actions

Information

One response

29 06 2020
JoHawkTheWriter

Bravo!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.




%d bloggers like this: