Community Quilt 63

12 02 2013

This one was quite a traditional quilt, with some big star blocks in purple, green, and cream florals.

How to quilt it? I decided to get away from the geometry of the blocks and quilt large freeform flowers in each star block, starting with the purple blocks where the star points were evenly spaced, then continuing into the cream/green blocks where they weren’t. I was originally going to quilt the flowers in the cream/green blocks in a cream, but then decided to continue using the same purple, blue, and green variegated thread I used in the purple blocks in these blocks too. For each flower, I stitched a sort of circle around the centre join in the block, then radiated out the petals from there, doing the long petals all the way around first, then filling in with the petals to the shorter points.

For the border, I kept with the same thread and stitched loopy flowers and leaves.

(Click on a photo to view it larger. The colours look a little washed out as this photo was taken in the heat of a very hot summer’s day. Sorry about that!)

quilt63_01

quilt63_02

quilt63_03

Back:

quilt63_04

Threads used:

  • Top: Superior King Tut ‘Cairo’ (40 wt, cotton, colour #932)
  • Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white, cotton)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 62

12 02 2013

I LOVE this panel! Normally, I’m not fussed by fabric panels. Either I don’t like the colours or the theme, but this one was different and not like any panel I’ve ever seen before. I love the colours and I especially like the birds — macaws are some of my favourite birds, and I love the over-the-top design of the toucans.

I was originally going to do a lot of thread painting on this quilt in matching colours, but realised fairly quickly that all that would do would be to tighten up the quilt and make it quite stiff. I suspect this quilt will go to a small child, and it needs to be comforting. So after doing a little thread painting in black, I switched to an invisible thread in smoke and mostly just outlined the main features, adding a bit of texture to the waterfall, the tree trunks, the edges and veins of the leaves, etc.

(Click on a photo to view it larger. The colours look a little washed out as this photo was taken in the heat of a very hot summer’s day. Sorry about that!)

quilt62_01

quilt62_04  quilt62_03

quilt62_02

Threads used:

  • Top: YLI Wonder Invisible Thread ‘Smoke’ (nylon)
  • Bobbin: Wonderfil Deco-Bob (80 wt, colour DB 245)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 61

12 02 2013

Another Disappearing 9-patch quilt, this time in yellow and green, with patches of a red wattle fabric — I’ll call it an Aussie quilt! Green and gold are Australia’s national sporting colours, and the green and gold wattle is our national flower.

I used my favourite quick and easy ‘open headband‘ motif all over the main top of this quilt in a variegated yellow, purple, and green thread. And for the borders I also used a variegated green thread to stitch the meandering leaves and stems. Each stem starts at the centre of the border and extends to the yellow corner block, where it meets the leaves from the opposing side.

(Click on a photo to view it larger. The colours look a little washed out as this photo was taken in the heat of a very hot summer’s day. Sorry about that!)

quilt61_01

quilt61_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Superior King Tut ‘Passionfruit’ (40 wt, cotton, colour #931) for the main top; Superior King Tut ‘Green Olives’ (40 wt, cotton, colour #990) for the border
  • Bobbin: Wonderfil Invisifil (100 wt, colour IF 702)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/