Community Quilt 13 and 2012 FMQ Challenge for August

19 08 2012

I wasn’t sure how to quilt this quilt top. It was very busy, so I figured that an overall stitching motif would be best, instead of trying to emphasise the quilting. I let it sit for a couple of days after basting it to see if any inspiration came to me.

The FMQ Challenge for August was “jester’s hats” so I decided to practice drawing them, then quilting them on a practice piece, then quilting them on this quilt. Killing two birds with one stone!

Despite looking simple, I actually found the jester’s hats quite hard to do. For some reason, my brain just couldn’t latch on to this pattern easily. Some of them went off in directions of their own, and I got myself into a few corners that I found hard to get out of. Fortunately, this quilt is so busy in design, fabrics, and colours that I think only ‘the quilt police’ would notice where I got stuck. 😉

I used a variegated yellow/green King Tut thread (‘Nile Crocodile’ [colour 943]) in the top and a navy Invisifil thread (colour IF 608) in the bobbin to match the pretty yellow/blue floral fabric on the back.

 

 





Community Quilt 12

19 08 2012

I think this quilt top was made by the same person who made ‘bug jar‘ — but this time the jars were filled with goodies, mostly sweet goodies like jellybeans, chocolates, cookies, etc. 😉

I decided to quilt large circles in the borders and sashing, then to outline quilt each  goodie in each of the jars. I used a variety of threads, mostly rayons, to match each jar’s contents; for the aqua green circles, I used a 40wt Isacord embroidery thread (colour 5010); and I used a beige Deco-Bob thread in the bobbin.