This was a BIG quilt, all in a striking arrangement of pretty batiks. The orange squares really set off the blue/green/aqua batiks, so a neon orange became my thread colour choice for the quilting.
As this quilt pattern was so geometric, I decided to do a squared off stipple all over the quilt. Unlike other types of stippling, this one requires you to cross lines 😉
And if you look closely, you’ll see my lines aren’t perfectly straight — and that’s OK. The overall look is of rectangles and squares, even though I suspect there’s not a perfectly straight line anywhere on the quilt. If I’d wanted perfectly straight lines, I’d have used a ruler, but that would’ve added about 10 hours to this quilt.
As it was I had a few issues with the Glide thread — the first issues I’ve ever had with Glide. For some reason, the top thread was very tight at times and snapped. I couldn’t figure it out, but it wasn’t enough for me to abandon the thread and go with something else. It’s possible the thread and the batik fabric didn’t play nice together, and it may not have been the thread alone (I’ve used this thread spool on other quilts without a problem).
(Click on a photo to view it larger)
- Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Neon Orange’ (40 wt , trilobal polyester, colour 90811)
- Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound (white)
Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/