Graffiti quilting samples

15 12 2014

When I was in the US, I met the lovely (and so terribly young!) Karlee Porter at Houston and then again at Salt Lake City in the Handi Quilter offices. Like many others, I bought her book ‘Graffiti Quilting’, and yesterday I had some time to practise some of her designs and methods. I was pleased with my first efforts!

The first two pictures below are of my practice sandwiches I used to test each of her motifs, and the final two are of my ‘real’ piece. I used a variegated Silco thread in red, green and white.

For those not into quilting, all the designs were stitched ‘free motion’, meaning no computerised control over the designs, no markings, and no rulers. It’s basically doodling with thread ;-)

Thanks Karlee!

P1020221

P1020222

P1020223

P1020224





Rearranging the sewing room

15 12 2014

Getting the new window treatments installed was the impetus for me to rearrange the layout of my sewing room. I now seem to have much more open floor space — shifting the cutting table next to the sewing table removed a ‘pinch point’ as you walked in the door and another when you tried to get to the stored goodies in the wardrobe, and putting the ironing board in front of the window lets much more light into the room (even if I didn’t have the new verticals). I still have plenty of light on my sewing table and the view is just a small turn of the head away.

My Sweet Sixteen lives in the living room ;-)

P1020219

P1020218
P1020220

 





New window treatments

15 12 2014

When we bought our current house, the three spare rooms had very wide and very heavy slimline venetian blinds. While I don’t mind the look of them, their sheer weight made them a pain to raise and lower, and they were pretty useless for ventilation as the windows open from right to left, not bottom to top like the venetians. So if you wanted some privacy AND some fresh air, you had to endure the rattle of the wind in the venetians and had to either raise them fully to access the window handle, or push your hand between the slats (thus bending them) to grab the window handle and open the window.

This photo shows one angle in my sewing room from 2011 — you can see part of the floor to ceiling venetians.

hq16_01

I bit the bullet and had all the venetians in these rooms replaced last week! I loved the look of some of the blinds on offer, but like the venetians, they just weren’t practical. Those that opened sideways that I particularly liked (e.g. panel blinds) couldn’t be adjusted for light, ventilation, or privacy — they had to be partly or fully open OR shut, and there wasn’t really a middle ground to satisfy my requirements for letting in some light as well as fresh air, while maintaining privacy. Even though I’m not a big fan of vertical blinds, they met all my needs (and were the cheapest option, though that wasn’t a primary consideration). I got the blockout ones as two of these windows get direct early morning sun. And to minimise the ‘look’ of verticals, I chose a colour to match the paint on the walls.

Since installing them, what I like is that I can pull them back to let in much more light, AND have the window open to get fresh air, or close them up fully or partially according to the light and breeze.

You can see from these photos that I had to clean stuff off the sewing table! It’s the cleanest its been since we moved in ;-) In fact, it was the impetus for shifting my sewing room around


P1020206

P1020208

P1020209

 





Community Quilt 176

7 12 2014

This is likely my last Community Quilt for 2014. It was the last of the most recent bunch I had received, and I won’t get any more until I go to Perth on Dec 19 to pick up a US friend from the airport. As she’s staying with us until Dec 28, I doubt I’ll get any/many of whatever is coming to me in the new batch.

Like the previous quilt, this was a ‘busy’ scrappy quilt of many colours and wonky log cabins. I decided to soften the geometric lines by doing an all-over circular motif in red thread, opting for my ‘open headbands‘, which are lodged in my muscle memory ;-)

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

quilt176_01
quilt176_02

 

Back:

quilt176_03


Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF188)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 175

7 12 2014

There were a lot of scrap fabrics used in this quilt, so detailed quilting would have competed with, or overpowered, those fabrics. I opted for a simple ‘cathedral windows‘ design instead (just in the small squares, not the larger ones, which I left unquilted).

I left the first border unquilted too, and did a large stipple in the outer border.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)


quilt175_01

 

quilt175_02

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Taupe’ (40 wt rayon, colour 2298)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (light tan)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Summer is coming…

1 12 2014

If the temperature changes didn’t tell me that summer was coming, my garden would! From late November into December (at least), the agapanthus put on a fine display, and some of the varieties of yucca flower heads are starting to die off.

P1020183

P1020174

P1020180

 





Point Peron

1 12 2014

We had to go to Perth last week for an appointment in Rockingham. On the way home, we took the scenic route to Mandurah via Shoalwater and Waikiki, detouring into Point Peron.

These are some of the views from the lookout at Point Peron. The first looks back to the suburb of Shoalwater; the second looks out past the reef to the Indian Ocean.

P1020145

P1020146








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 97 other followers