Community Quilt 379

17 03 2018

Someone spent a lot of time making blocks from tiny scraps — the finished squares were only about 1″. How to quilt it? As usual I started by stitching in the ditch around the main blocks and borders. Then I decided to do something simple because the scrap fabrics were so ‘busy’ — I free-motion stitched lines through the centre of each row of squares, in a checkboard pattern. I didn’t use a ruler, but even with wonky lines, the illusion is of straight lines. I left the sashing strips unquilted and did a line of straight stitching (this time with a ruler) in the border, a half inch from the seam line.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Fil-Tec Glide ‘Navy’ (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour 32965)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (black)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 378

17 03 2018

I think was my first tumbling blocks quilt! I started by stitching in the ditch around the borders and across some of the blocks, following the seam lines. Then I did a cathedral windows motif in the diamond shapes, in a pale blue thread.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Robison-Anton ‘Paris Blue’ (40 wt, rayon, colour 2283)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Community Quilt 377

17 03 2018

How to quilt this small quilt, which had all sorts of elements — appliqued pieces, pieced blocks, etc. — in it? I started by stitching in the ditch around all the main elements, then did some straight stitching in the centre block, some free-motion curved lines in the curved applique pieces and in the border, some stippling in the white space, and some cathedral windows in the corner blocks. I left the remainder unquilted.

(Click on a photo to view it larger)

Threads used:

  • Top: Floriani (40 wt, rayon, colour PF129); Isacord (40 wt, trilobal polyester, colour Fb 6650)
  • Bottom: Fil-Tec Magna Glide Classic pre-wound bobbin (candy apple red, white)

Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/





Two days = 3 quilt tops made

6 03 2018

I went on a four-day quilting retreat with friends in February, and made six quilt tops. One was mostly done — I just had to lay it out and add the connecting pieces — but the other five I made from scratch using the pattern I created for the second pink quilt top for the McGrath Foundation: https://rhondabracey.com/2018/01/31/pink-quilts-for-donating-to-the-mcgrath-foundation/

For two of them, I used my own Asian-style fabrics and I’ll post pics of them later, once I’ve finished binding them. (see https://rhondabracey.com/2018/03/17/blue-grey-and-gold-asian-style-quilt/ and https://rhondabracey.com/2018/03/17/red-and-gold-asian-style-quilt/). The other was a Christmas tree quilt: https://rhondabracey.com/2018/03/17/christmas-tree-quilt/

For the other three, I used fabrics from the Community Quilt (CQ) fabric stash that my friend who hosts us has in her house. The CQ people are always wanting quilts suitable for males (i.e. not pink and floral!), so I raided her fairly large stash of plaids and darker-toned fabrics to make two of the tops. For the third, I found some bright yellows, greens, and blues, and made the final top (Update: I got to quilt this one too!). All have now been donated to the CQ program for finishing off and delivering to charitable causes.

For the first top, I used some denim and orange/red fabrics from my own stash, and added more blues and white shirting fabrics from the CQ fabric stash.

For the second, I used more denim and some plaids from the CQ stash.

For the final top, I used fabrics from the CQ stash in yellows, blues, and greens, with some splashes of orange.