After tossing around a lot of thoughts in my brain for several months, I finally decided on citrus. I kept coming back to it — it was one of my first thoughts, and it kept popping into my head, so I figured that’s what it had to be. One of the things that attracted me to citrus was that various citrus fruits covered at least three of the five tastes — sweet (oranges, mandarins), sour (limes, lemons, and/or grapefruit) and bitter (limes, lemons, and/or grapefruit).
But what to do? I started manipulating some of the citrus images I had and eventually decided on this one:
I loaded it into www.dumpr.net to get a sketch of it:
But I didn’t think I could do much with that, so I played with the contours in PaintShop Pro and came up with this line drawing, which I coloured to show the various light and dark parts:
That was looking promising. Then I changed the colours:
Mmmmm… more promising… So I changed the colours again:
And I had it!
I could use the two-fabric ‘reverse applique’ technique I learned when I was making the ‘Herd of Turtles‘ quilts a month or so ago, and with some bright batik fabrics, I could get quite a bit of ‘texture’ happening. Eureka!
- The challenge: http://sandgroper14.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/2013-challenge-the-challenge/
- Coming to a decision: http://sandgroper14.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/2013-challenge-coming-to-a-decision/
- The decision: (this post)
- The process: http://sandgroper14.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/2013-challenge-the-process/
- The finished product: http://rhondabracey.com/2013/09/20/2013-challenge-the-finished-product/