This was a BIG quilt — at a guess, it was about 50 x 80 inches. It took me about 6 hours to quilt.
Initially, I thought I’d outline the coloured shapes and echo that in the white, then do some other stuff with rulers. But after doing the first one of MANY coloured ‘diamonds’, I decided that would take way too long, so instead I decided to do an all-over, continuous line design in a cubed meander. It still took 6 hours; had I done what my first thought was, it would have taken well over 12 hours to quilt this quilt.
I ran out of the 1000 m spool of pale blue variegated cotton thread I was using so had to finish the edge blocks in a pale blue rayon thread. I had a hard time figuring out where one thread started and the other finished, so hopefully the recipient will never know
I was pleased with my choice of all-over motif — I think it fits well with the ‘masculine’ nature of the pieced fabrics and the back. I suspect this is one of the quilts the ladies have made that will go to St Barts, a facility for the homeless.
(Click on a photo to view it larger)
- Top: Wonderfil Tutti variegated pale blue (cotton, 50 wt, colour TU210; Robison-Anton ‘Paris blue’ (rayon, 40 wt, colour 2283)
- Bobbin: Bobbinfil (white, 70 wt, cotton)
Photos of all the Community Quilts I’ve quilted are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondamadeit/sets/72157630291250200/